The History of The Bakers Arms
The building was built in the 17thCentury with a later stone addition. It was known as a Court House in 1800 and It has undergone several structural changes over the years.
Like other public houses in the area it was initially a cider house, and then a cider and beer house until the 1950s. Of course, it is now licensed to also sell wines and spirits.
The public house (formerly known as The Maidenhead Inn) was the headquarters of the local Independent Order of Oddfellows for many years, and it seems to have had a number of wheelwrights who were also publicans as well.
Henry Clarke (Head of Household), Mary Clarke (wife), Caroline Clarke, Catharine Vernals, John Lawrence, William Price, William Cook, Martha Yapp, Ann Yapp
1851 Census:(No Census Return)
James Lord (Head of Household – Inn Keeper), Mary A Lord (wife), John H Lord (son), George Lord (son), Thomas W Lord (son), James W Lord (son), Mary Thomas (servant), Ann Norgrove (visitor)
John Pearce (Head of Household – Inn Keeper/Wheelwright), Sarah Pearce (wife), JohnPearce(son), Avis Pearce (daughter), Mary A Hay (servant)
Sarah Pearce (Widow - Head of Household), John Pearce (son - Carpenter), James Roberts (boarder)
John Pearce (Head of Household – Carpenter), Elizabeth Pearce (wife), Elizabeth A Pearce (daughter), Sarah Pearce (mother – widow)
John Pearce (Head of Household – Inn Keeper), Elizabeth Pearce (wife), Elizabeth Ann Pearce (daughter), John Pearce (son), Avis Pearce (daughter), John Powell (boarder), Arthur Powell (lodger), Tom Powell (lodger)
John Pearce (Head of Household – Inn Keeper, Wheelwright and Carpenter), Elizabeth Pearce (wife), Avis Pearce (daughter), Charles Powell (boarder)
Two Fairs were held regularly in Orleton, one was the Hiring Fair and Horse Fair, and this was held in the centre of the village in King’s Road. Another Fair took place in the meadow adjacent to The Maidenhead Inn at which Hereford Cattle were sold.